Ousmane Dembele could be used on Thursday for the first time since the beginning of the transfers around his person in this January again in a home game of FC Barcelona. This revealed Barca coach Xavi at the press conference in front of the playoff first leg in the Europa League against the SSC Naples.
“We do not realize that he can play at home or outwards. Whether he plays or not, depends only on how players exercise and who is better or worse. He can play,” Xavi said that Dembel said in The first eleven could stand.
Dembele celebrated his comeback last Saturday after several weeks of abstinence. In the game in the Primera Divison against local rival Espanyol, the Frenchman was replaced by 18 minutes before the end of the game.
FC Barcelona: Dembele rejected contract extension
The contract of the 24-year-old striker at the Bluegranana runs out after the end of this season. An offer for the contract extension he struck, whereupon the FC Barcelona informed him that he should abandon the club as far as possible in the winter transfer window – also to receive a transfer fee. Dembele was no longer in the Barca squad.
There was no change until 31st January. Now Xavi believes that Dembele can play an important role in the course of the season. “He will certainly help us to the end of the season because he is a great player. He belongs to the squad and will play when we need him,” Xavi said.
Articles and videos about the topic
* Xavi to Alves: “Feel bad”
* Xavi after victory: “Brilliant to Alves-Place reference”
* Register now and experience Laliga live on Dazn! Can be terminated at any time monthly.
Dembele moved in 2017 for a transfer fee of 105 million euros from Borussia Dortmund to FC Barcelona. Since then he scored 18 goals for the Bluegrana in 81 competitive games.